Thursday, March 05, 2009

Southern 6 Recap

No wonder I didn't win - look how far back I am from the front!

My first race of the year went relatively well.  Saturday my friend Dusty and I did the course so I would be familiar with it.  The course is behind Southern Adventist University and has some excellent trails, that are real heart-breakers!  The race was a 6K course and the first 2.5K were straight-up!  Needless to say we didn't have to worry about pack-running.  

It was perfect running weather as it was wicked cold at the start with strong winds.  Once we got into the woods everything was fine though.  The race played-out exactly like I thought it would.  Everyone charged up the first section of the almost 3K hill and once people started to see there was no end-in-sight people started to walk and shuffle to the side.  I'm happy to report that I didn't stop the entire time.  My only dissapointment came mid-way through when I was wanting to keep-up with a very fast group and they passed me.  I was actually exicted when we were about 80% done and Chattanooga running legend Randy Whorton passed me!  However, reality set-in when they gave him an award and he announced he ran a 50-K the day before!  Owell, it was a fun day and my friend Dusty pulled a Dean K - and ran to the race!  True dedication!!!

I'm truelly addicted to trails now.  I don't care if I am significantly slower - I feel better and more refreshed after running on trails.  


  

No comments: