Sunday, March 08, 2009

In honor of my friend David


On the way to work this Friday I noticed an "accident" on the right side of the road.  However, as I approached a cold shiver went up my spine that is still there.  I saw a lone bike on the ground with a huge truck in front parked.  Cop cars were everywhere.  Later I found out this was actually a good friend of mine, David Meek, a fellow commuter that I had shared many rides with on Tuesday nights, many breakfasts with at Bike to Work, and many other great memories with.  Mere words cannot even begin to explain the admiration I have for David Meek.  A true cyclist who builds his own bikes.  He passed away after arriving at the hospital.

Many of you know I'm extremely sensitive about this topic as I was full-time bike commuter for over 3 years.  I have edited this post many times to not sound so militant, but I do want to remind everyone that in Tennessee automobiles are required by law to give cyclist 3 feet of room:  Tennessee's 3-foot law.  

No comments: