Wednesday, February 04, 2009

not all who wonder are lost


My friends systematically express disdain towards working out with me.  There are several reasons for this.  The main one being, I do have a slight tendency to A) wonder (get lost) and B)workout for longer than some people would like.

Somehow there is this rumor that a friend that used to workout with me was going to go cycling with me on a nice Saturday morning.  My friend only has "a couple of hours" and just wants to knock out "30 miles or so" well somehow, according to the rumor, we ended up covering over 60 miles two time zones, three counties, two mountains, and my friend didn't get his porch painted this day.  However, I need to remind everyone this is just a rumor.

The wondering part of my answer is fairly sophisticated.  First and foremost, I love Chattanooga and it's surrounding areas.  Not having the distinct pleasure of growing up here I am constantly finding new areas to explore.  It is gorgeous here and I love the mountains.  I can't tell you how many times I have been going down a mountain at 40+ mph not knowing what state I was going to end up in, much less what county or city.  Even though I have now lived here for 9 years, I haven't even scratched the surface as to all of the awesome outdoor venues here.

OK, so I'll quit rambling.  Two weekends ago when I was cycling up Signal my friend and I got to the top and we were just zipping along the brow.  My friend knew the way back and wanted to turn, but I wanted to keep going, not knowing where it went (he didn't either).  Only later to find out it is one of the best overlooks Signal Mountain has to offer.  I digress.  

Last weekend, my wondering didn't pay the expected dividends.  Another friend and myself were running on the trails on Racoon Mountain and I thought if you cut-out early, I would be cutting my run short.  It turns out this section was where I was supposed to get off.  Much to my chagrin, the trail immediately started going downhill and away and I added another two miles - and it was a painfull two miles!  Owell, it was a pretty day.

It looks like it is going to be another great weekend with friends and family coming in-town, great weather, my daughter's birthday, and a couple of trail runs already planned... 

No comments: