Friday, March 14, 2008

This one is for you

I had a great ride yesterday. My wife called at 5:00 and wanted to meet friends downtown, so I needed to make this a quick ride. I went up Lookout Mountain and had some great riding, enjoying both the weather and the views. The real excitement came after though, when I saw a fellow rider in my sights.

Now this rider was no normal cyclist - he was THAT GUY. You know who I'm talking about, because every city has at least one. He was sponsored (or a pro, depending on who you listen to) and he had his matching $250 cycling shorts and jersey on, with his $150 sunglasses and iPod and $200 helmet and $200 shoes. When I saw him, I immediately sped up and was on the chase. As I passed him I asked: "did you just do Lookout Mountain" he said: "Na, just staying flat today"

I want to be clear I didn't pass him to feed my ego, as I know there are and will always be a massive amount of people faster than me. But I passed him for YOU. If you are like me and have some cycling shorts that have holes in them and a jersey that kind-of stinks but you wear it anyway since they are so freaking expensive and got your shoes on clearance because the cleats are missing some screws, and wear a mountain biking helmet while you ride your road bike because, you don't want to buy two helmets, and well o.k., you get my drift.

Normally , the stuff doesn't bother me, but I make it a point to wave or something to everyone I pass. Unfortunately, there is a fair amount of arrogance in the cycling community - for reasons I am much too poor to understand. Nevertheless, I can guarantee I have more fun than anyone I know.

I raced home passing a couple of more cyclist and then went out and enjoyed a smoothie with my wife and friends.

Hope everyone has a GREAT WEEKEND!

3 comments:

Whit and Lindsay said...

Nice!!!

Emily said...

Love it. I so feel you on poor!

Jon Moss said...

the open road is the great equalizer! I witnessed someone on a $4000 Griffen get smoked in the final times by another guy on a beat up mountain bike during an Olympic TRI.