Monday, August 04, 2008

Long Training Day

It was a bit boring having a long training day to myself, but I got it done. 1 mile swim at the dam. This time I actually swam out to the damn, rather than just staying in the swimming area. Really, what fun is that? The only mishap was that I was swimming a long and all of a sudden I was so in-rhythm I forgot to look-up and I was touching bottom. No worries though. I had to get back to the house to get my iPod.

The original plan was to spend the day in solitude. But it was more like spending the day with 1 million vehicles. I cannot stand the sound of a car when I'm cycling. I've been spoiled by early mornings in North Georgia.

So when I got home, I ditched the bike, and donned the running shoes. I had been dreading this day for a long time but it was now or never - it was time for a long run. At this point it was 9:30 so it was not too hot. I got into a rhythm and it was great, first 2 miles I was in a rhythm, then I hit a nasty climb, still great, then I started running by the river and the heat sunk in. I threw back some Jelly Beans, drank some water, but my body was feeling it. I was running without socks, testing it out. I think the extra couple of seconds it takes me to put them on in the transition area will be worth it. I stopped by a local coffee shop threw some ice in my hat and kept going. This is awesome, and for those of you that haven't found this trick I HIGHLY recommend it. I definitely would have overheated if I had not done this. From this point on it was extremely short goals that ended up, turning into 20 miles. I did it. Home at last.

Tomorrow I may get out on the bike and due some time-trial stuff.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I'm working with Takkle.com, a social networking site for sports. Members can post photos, videos, share stats and schedules, and a whole lot more with others throughout the community. Takkle is a place where students, athletes, coaches, and fans can share their passion for sports.

I feel that your site is very useful. I would love to know if you could link to our social networking resource.

Thanks,
Tiffany