Monday, December 03, 2007

Goals

I have been doing some serious thinking about my goals for 2008. Next year will be a pivotal year for me personally and professionally. I will elaborate on this issue later, but one of my goals will definitely pertain to educating others and myself on alternative energy.

It all comes back to the simplicity of biking to work. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you are a nature-lover, health fanatic, or just plain cheap-skate - the bottom line is the bottom line, and that is = you have more money in your back pocket if you bike to work as opposed to if you drive your car to work.

In the next couple of years I believe this movement will transgress into our aging power grid and companies and individuals will be more creative when thinking of their home power, rather than just paying your local power company whatever they tell you to pay.

I will be the first to admit that I'm not the smartest knife in the drawer. However, neither are many of the individuals on the Forbes 400. The difference is they are hard-working individuals that were very perceptive in looking at long-term growth trends.

So today we have google, the most progressive corporation in the world investing heavily in alternative energy to get off the power grid, because they think they can generate it cheaper themselves and Kleiner Perkins, arguably the most successful venture capitalist firm in the world investing very heavily in alternative energy.

Additionally, another individual I highly respect, Vinod Khosla is solely focused on alternative energy. Other individuals that are more controversial that have publicly stated alternative energy is the next big thing is Sir Richard Branson and Bill Clinton. Regardless of your personal feelings towards these individuals, it would be hard to argue that these individuals are not successful.

Alas, I challenge all of you to take a step back and think about your impact on the world. I am very blessed to have a handful of really great friends in my life. One characteristic they all share, is that they all want to be VERY successful, but perhaps more importantly, they all want to make a difference in the world, AND this is the reason they are my best friends.

What is your impact on the world?

1 comment:

Whit and Lindsay said...

Whit here:

Jimmy, awesome blog. Totally hearing you. Lindsay and I love being free of the shackles of a car, gas and oil. I definitely forsee more biking and walking when we get back to the States. Keep preaching it, Preacher.