Thursday, January 10, 2008

Humility

One thing every triathlon has given me is humility. Although I love passing people in the swim with crazy expensive wet-suits, and pass people on bike's that costs well over 2x what my bike costs and passing people on the run the bottom line is that I only race against myself, which is a stark difference than most triathletes out there, including one of my main training partners Kevin.

I encourage everyone out there to think about simply racing against yourself as a benchmark. Only you know what you are capable of. For me, I am capable of much more than I have produced at the triathlons I have competed in - and for that, at every finish I feel a bifurcation between my happiness/feeling of completion and between sadness/not training hard enough.

In the end I am proud to call myself a triathlete. There is no other group of individuals out there with more generosity and great sportsmanship.

Finally, it's also nice to see Adam Zucco, a triathlon coach with this humility on his blog citing his slow times when he first started and even fairly recent failures.

No comments: