Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sprint Triathlon Completed


First a little history is needed on how I got into triathlons. I was training for a marathon when a friend of mine invited me and my lovely wife down to Hilton Head for a long weekend. He said he was going to do a triathlon. I thought this would be good cross training for my marathon and an ever better reason to go to Hilton Head, South Carolina. So long story, short I had so much fun training for the triathlon I completely stopped training for my marathon (VERY BAD IDEA!).

Once or twice a week my friend and I would do a sprint triathlon after work. It was a blast. He's a great swimmer, we are both strong on the bike, and we are both strong runners but I've got a bit more endurance for the long runs, so it works out well.

Yesterday, for the first time in 2008, I did this. After work I swam in my old University pool. (for those of you out there that need some boredom in your life- you really need to check out swimming) I was feeling pretty good honestly. I did a quick warm-up and then went into some drills). At this point I'm thinking , "surely I haven't been in here for 30 minutes, but at least 15 minutes" Does anybody want to guess how long it had been?

Anyone?

Yea, a whopping 5 minutes! So more drills and such and I eventually cranked out a little over 1/2 mile.

Then onto the bike. Question: Why is it so hard to bike after the swim, even though I really don't use my legs when I swim? Please email me or leave a comment regarding this. I was planning on tackling my favorite mountain, but got caught in a dust-storm of 30 mph winds and figured that probably wouldn't be the best environment for going down a mountain at 50 mph on a 15 lb bike. So, I cut it a little short and went home and grabbed the dog for my favorite short-run.

In my neighborhood there is a run that truly defies common sense it is only about 2 miles but it takes around 15 minutes and 90% of the time you are going up-hill. So I give myself a little break on the distance since the whole thing is uphill. My 85 lb weimeraner used to literally lay-down and refuse to do it. But now she loves it and I think it is her favorite route as well.

Since I started this with a story about a great friendship I should probably end it with one as well. This morning around 6:30 I got to a local coffee shop for my usual Wednesday morning bible study. I get there a little early to go over my notes and for quite time. This morning I couldn't help but overhear another bible study that hadn't started yet. All the guy's were talking about how the NCAA tournament and how the brackets are wrong, the placing is wrong, the odds are wrong, etc... The whole time I was thinking "if I was over there I would have nothing to say" So when all of my friends showed up we immediately all started talking about the big trail race in two weeks, we were all giddy about it, talking non-stop about our favorite adventure race we have done, and this Saturday we are going to run it together for practice.

In summary, I think the triathlon/endurance racing community is filled with great people and if you aren't involved in some way, you are really missing out on some great fun!

Cheers!

3 comments:

-brittany- said...

When you get on your bike after swimming, there won’t be enough blood in your cycling muscles — it takes a bit of getting used to the feeling of empty legs while the body diverts the blood to where it is needed.

www.ottawaoutdoors.com

Becca said...

i think those "other" bible study guys probably eavesdropped on YOUR bible study and thought, "i wouldn't have anything to say if i were in their group." it just continues to solidify the fact that God fashioned each of us individually in our own unique way. while i would be fascinated to hear about your trail run, i would probably fit better in that NCAA bracket talk - are we still considered friends: MOST DEFINITELY! it doesn't make one of us any better than the next, it just makes life MUCH more interesting, don't you think?
great blog, jimmy. i always enjoy reading your own writing and accomplishments as well as all the really interesting articles you seem to come across. (sorry for the long comment, but you know i am opinionated and i just had to comment on this particular post)stay unique, stay normal and don't ever get the $250 bicycling short personna - we like you just the way you are.

Jon Moss said...

When I first joined Team In Training, I considered joining the marathoners, but was easily convinced by the TRI coaches to join their team. They said the TRI people were way cooler, and that it was boring just to run, run, run. Why not mix it up with a little swimming and biking--true cross-training.

Although I didn't know it at the time...I couldn't agree more now!