Monday, March 03, 2008

iPod or no iPod?



I have a great feeling that this is going to be one of my most controversial posts yet. First and foremost, I want everyone's opinion so of the 100 or so folks who visit everyday - I want to see your thoughts on this issue in my comments section.

So here it is. I was having this great run on Saturday, flying through the woods, I even came up on 2 whitetail deer. I was still enjoying the epic views and awesome waterfalls, but I was really running fast for me while still enjoying nature to the fullest. Then towards the end of my run, at the last mile, I ran past somebody. This somebody, wasn't just anybody, but the owner of a local outdoor apparel store, who basically has a monopoly on the local market where I reside. This is a another issue I will blog about another day.

What bugged me, was that this guy was trail running with his iPod! Isn't the point of getting out there and being in the woods is to get a way from it all?

I have never ran a marathon with an iPod because I have always felt I wanted to get the full experience and I just thought music would somewhat hinder that experience. All of the non-marathoners I know, kid me on this issue, saying this is why I run marathons so slow. But I run marathons for me not for the clock.

Now for full disclosure, I do run into work with an iPod every now and then when I need something to take my mind of the mid-teens weather or the humidity or whatever else - but this is in the city! NOT the woods!

So does it bother you when you see others out in the woods with their iPods or does it just add to the experience?

10 comments:

bobw said...

the only time that ipods bug me is when it shuts out the opportunity to communicate with someone. trail running wouldnt bother me.

-brittany- said...

I guess depending on the genre of music an iPod could compliment a bout in the woods. Not that I know from experience :)

Emily said...

I leave my ipod at home for trail runs, but take it in the city. I don't really care what others do. Their loss if they miss the little piece of sanctuary that is trail running.

-brittany- said...

Jimmy, I agree. When hiking, I love to hear the whisper of the leaves in the trees, the creaking of the limbs and the sounds of all creatures great and small. An iPod is not for me. Not that I have my music downloaded on it yet. It is still laying on the kitchen table. In addition, there are safety matters.

Joyce (Brittany's Mom)

Whit and Lindsay said...

You'll be surprised to know that both Whit and I take along our iPods on trail runs these days. Whit is addicted to his American sports shows and NPR and I just love the music. I totally understand what you're saying about nature. I can see both sides. I used to be an anti-iPoder. But these days, I don't leave home without it.

Whit and Lindsay said...

Couple more things:
It's different on the trails in Korea. You are only a stone's throw from the blistering honking traffic. And I rarely hear a bird without the iPod.
Also, we are extremely anti-iPod when it comes to race day.

Whit said...

Back home in America I rarely ran with an iPod unless my running needed a jump start. But here I listen to sports news and news news like it is going out of style. I am much more tolerant of the iPod these days but there was a time that i had a major issue with it. If it takes some head music to get you outside running, then as far as I am concerned, so be it. Better than running with a cigarette.

Whit said...

Koreans actually walk with radios...no headphones....that is a bit annoying.

Jimmy said...

Thanks for the comments. This was really insightful and from now on I won't be so judgemental - which I shouldn't have been anyway.

Cheers to all - and at least everyone is out running and not sitting on the couch!

WarKitty said...

I stumbled in here while looking at links related to the Prentice Cooper trail run. This post caught my attention.

I'm new to running/trail running, but not cycling. I can see your point, but on the trail I'm less bothered by the iPod Cyborgs than out riding my bike. A cyclist with the music in his/her ears seems to me a cyclist not using all senses to avoid danger, and even though Chattanooga is relatively bike friendly, I still would never ride with music plugging my ears.

On the trail? I'm with you. I can't fathom not wanting to hear the sounds of birds, or the sudden rush as that deer runs off, or the music of the water trickling through the rocks. Yeah.

-Cat