Monday, January 12, 2009

Long Run Sundays...



On Sunday, I found yet another awesome reason why I love living in Chattanooga. I have now been here 9 years and I haven't even scratched the surface on all of the outdoor activities available. On Sunday, my friend Dusty had to do a long-run in training for his upcoming marathon. Having participated in many of these long-run sessions I know they can be extremely boring and it wasn't like running 10 miles was going to hurt me and my nice winter-hibernation flab.

So early Sunday after a late night I got out of a nice warm bed to go brave the cold for a long run (can anyone tell that I had a lot of excuses not to go?). We were running at Chicamauga Battlefield. I had never ran there before, but Dusty had ran a half-marathon and guarunteed I wouldn't be dissapointed. Note, I prefer trails and we would have ran trails, but all of the ones we knew about were flooded. The experience was awesome to say the least.

First, we talked pretty much the whole time so it definately wasn't boring and second we saw no less than 30 dear. It was great being out there with the early morning fog and mist seeing the deer eating in the fields. At one point, we got within about 5 feet of two deer that were completely unfazed that we were running almost at them (they were by the road we were running on).

The actual run wasn't bad at all, as there were only a couple of moderate hills and we pretty much talked the entire time while watching the deer so the mileage flew by.

Anyway, we had to cut the run short due to a bowel syndrome I had which is caused by eating expired granola and then going and running 8 miles, I'll let everyone guess as to what was going on...

No comments: