Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Keeping it Real!

Last Sunday I ran a 5K for the first time in several years. I didn't have a clue how I would do for several reasons including, but not limited to: still recovering from the Ironman, bad knee, had not run seriously since the Ironman, etc...

I originally told my friend that I wouldn't due to it, but since it was for a great cause and I knew I would regret not doing it, I decided to get out there and suffer with everyone else.

5K's are tough on everyone. If your a distance guy like myself they are WAY too short, and don't give you near enough time to get into a good rhythm. If you hate to run, but are doing one just to get in-shape, they are way too long.

The best thing about a 5K though is the diversity. There were guy's there running in nothing but cycling shorts and running shoes to a guy I saw running in blue jeans and a long-sleeve shirt (note, it was around 85 degrees).

I had a great time. The start was WAY TOO FAST as all 5ks are. The second mile was my favorite as it was along the river and was shaded. Third mile had a nice hill, and was through the university. After I finished I waited on my friend and we ran back to get our wives, who much to their chagrin got stuck at the end with their strollers. The funniest thing is that they had this new timing system and it clocked my second time. So the record has me finishing in an hour and 2 minutes. Man am I glad I paid an extra $5 for that! For the record: I ran a 6, 7, and 10 minute mile respectively. Needless to say I was disappointed in the last mile. O well, at least I have a baseline going into winter marathon training season.

Pictures will be up soon.

No comments: