Sunday, August 31, 2008

I am an Ironman

I'll have a detailed post later, with pictures, video clips, and details of everything that happened. But in-short, it was the experience of a lifetime.

I give all the glory to God, because I could not have done it without Him. Speaking of which, a guy behind me at the start of the swim said: I hope you are a Christian, because if not, you will find Jesus on this course. I wanted to quit the entire time: My swim time was horrible, I could not stomach any solids on the bike and could not get in my aero bars because my stomach was in knots, and I hallucinated during the run from dehydration and exhaustion. But I finished and that was my goal.

It was an amazing day that I got to share with my wife (who ran with me for more than 2 miles with our 6 month old strapped to her) and our travel buddies Brent and Becca who served as an awesome support crew.

I would be remiss if I did not mention Kevin, my Irish training partner who got me into this bloody sport. I first got into triathlons to just keep in-shape after I got out of the military, I never knew it would evolve into a lifestyle of buying energy gels by the case, my wife cooking me homemade energy bars and getting up before 6:00 most Saturdays to train.

Thank you all for your prayers and support.

7 comments:

Ivey Handcrafted said...

Jimmy - we are so proud of you! We tracked you most of the day online! So much fun! So glad you finished - all your hard work paid off. Can't wait to hear more about it!!!

Family Moss said...

Fantastic news!!!! So glad to hear you accomplished your goal, and can't wait to see the visuals - you're an inspiration to all of us!

MELDUST said...

We thought about you all weekend. Congratulations Ironman!!!

JP said...

Congrats on your phenomenal accomplishment! I started getting involved in tri's 2 months ago and I still (unsuccessfully) try to wrap my mind around an Ironman. Still can't seem to grasp it. My hat goes off to you, Jimmy, or should I say "Ironman"! Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

NursAdrn said...

You ROCK! What terrible heat, too! You will always have bragging rights for getting through that one!

Sandy said...

WAY TO GO!!!!!It is an honor to know you. Especially since I've known you since freshman yr. of college and I have seen you grow spiritually and matured to a wonderful Dad.
Congratulations to you on this accomplishment. You are an inspiration to a lot of people including me!

Anonymous said...

wow Jimmmy!!! That is awesome! Congrats! Unbelievable accomplishment.